Traffic & Parking
All state and local traffic laws apply on campus roadways and parking areas and are enforced by the Oakton Community College Police Department. Police officers conduct traffic stops to enforce these laws, and may issue traffic citations.
I. Traffic Control Devices and Signs
- The drivers of all vehicles will obey the instruction of official traffic control devices and signs unless otherwise directed by a Public Safety Officer.
- No unauthorized vehicle is permitted on walkways or grass areas of the campus grounds.
- No parking in aisles or fire lanes.
II. Speed Regulation Code
- Twenty-five (25) miles per hour on College roadways unless otherwise noted.
- Ten (10) miles per hour in parking lots; and
- Ten (10) miles per hour in fire lanes.
The fact that the speed of a vehicle does not exceed the applicable maximum speed limit does not relieve the driver from the duty to decrease speed by reason of weather or road conditions or other safety considerations.
III. Parking Regulation Code
Vehicles operated by College personnel must be properly registered with valid College parking decal appropriately displayed (i.e., The lower right-hand corner of the front window).
- No vehicle is permitted to park or stand on the roadways or driveways of the parking areas at any time.
- In emergencies, vehicles will be moved to the nearest shoulder of the roadway.
- Parking in a visitor, handicapped, reserved, or restricted parking area or space without authorization will constitute a violation.
- Requests for special parking privileges based on physical or medical reasons must be authorized by the Health Services Personnel.
- No vehicle is permitted to be parked overnight on campus grounds without prior authorization from the Department of Public Safety. Illegally parked or abandoned vehicles may be towed away at the owner’s expense in accordance with the ordinance of the City of Des Plaines or Village of Skokie.
All vehicles will be parked in the appropriate parking areas. Parking areas will be designated by the College administration which will include the following classifications:
- Handicapped Parking
- Reserved Parking
IV. Parking and Traffic Violations
The Chief of Public Safety may delegate the issuance of citations to trained cadets. Parking and traffic violators will be required to pay fines as established below:
- Parking in areas other than the appropriate (i.e., Student/faculty/staff/administrator) parking area will be subject to a $10.00 fine(s) for each violation after the first warning ticket has been issued.
- Parking in fire lanes $50.00 fine(s) and handicapped space $250.00 fine(s) will be subject to a fine for each violation with no warning ticket. Parking in visitor, motorcycle, or reserved space, parking in restricted aisles/driveways/roadways will be subject to a $10.00 fine(s) for each violation with no warning ticket.
- All traffic moving violations (i.e., Exceeding posted speed limit, driving in hazardous manner, failure to obey traffic signs) will be subject to a $40.00 fine(s) with no warning ticket.
- Student Conduct and Health and Safety Procedures
Violators will be required to pay the appropriate fine within thirty (30) days after the violation has been issued or adjudicated. The following penalties will be applicable after the aforementioned (30) calendar days have expired.
Student: Grade reports, transcripts, and registration will be withheld from the student.
College Personnel: Amount of unpaid parking/traffic citation fines will be deducted from the individual’s payroll check.
Do you have a question about
Oakton Community College?