PTA Admission Procedures
2016 applications are no longer being accepted.
Students must submit a Health Career Program Application.
Students may apply between September 1, 2016 and February 17, 2017 for the PTA program which begins fall 2017.
To assist us in establishing residency, students are required to submit a copy of their drivers license or state issued ID with their application.
Applicants with files completed by February 17, 2017 will be ranked on a numerical point scale which includes the following:
- Accuplacer® (reading assessment test) taken at Oakton's Testing Center with a minimum score of 76. (Scores from more than two attempts will be averaged.) Please contact the Health Career Advisor for more information.)
- Weighted cumulative GPA of all college courses in the last 5 years or high school if less than 12 college credit hours earned (including any repeated courses).
- Total score from recommendation forms. One recommendation form from a physical therapist and one recommendation form from a physical therapist assistant at the observation site.
Additional points will be awarded for:
- In-district residency
- Completion of anatomy and physiology and medical terminology
- Progress toward completion of other general education requirements
- Work experience in a physical therapy setting (proof required)
- Completion of a U.S. college degree (Associate, Bachelor, Master or Doctorate)
Points will be deducted for:
- Patterns of withdrawals (W) or repeated failures on transcripts
- Any recommendation rating of "recommended with reservation" on recommendation form
- Any applicant with a recommendation rating of "do not recommend" on recommendation form will not be considered for admission
- Upon completion of all minimum requirements, the top 32 ranked applicants must complete a satisfactory interview for admission into the program. Any applicant who does not complete a satisfactory interview may not be considered for admission.
The top 32 ranked applicants will be interviewed by the program chair or admissions committee beginning March 2017. Priority admission is given to legal residents of Oakton Community College District 535. Out-of-state and VISA holders may be ranked after July 1, 2017 based on space availability. Accepted applicants will be notified in writing within two weeks of the interview.
For most students, the program will require a full-time and daytime commitment. Only those who complete extensive general education and core requirements prior to their enrollment in the program will be able to attend on less than a full-time basis.
Only students officially accepted to the PTA program may enroll in PTA courses. Classes in the Physical Therapist Assistant Program begin in the fall semester only. Students who complete the core and general education credits which are a part of the curriculum must still plan on attending for two full academic years (plus summers.)
Students admitted to the program will need to enroll in courses that involve off-campus clinical rotation. Students must comply with the requirements of those clinical sites. Those admitted will be required to submit a current and complete physical examination record before registration for fall classes (forms are sent with acceptance letter), and a copy of their health insurance card to prove coverage. Part of the physical exam includes immunizations. Clinical requirements may include drug and alcohol testing, as well as a criminal background check. A social security number is required to comply with the criminal background check.
Early application (September 1, 2016) and completion of file is encouraged. Applications and materials submitted on the deadline date cannot be immediately processed; therefore, student run the risk of having an incomplete file. No materials or documentation will be accepted after February 17, 2017.
Note: An applicant with a felony criminal conviction may have difficulty obtaining a license to practice PTA in Illinois. Applicants may refer questions to the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Springfield, IL (www.idfpr.com).