- Any Subject
- Arts & Humanities
- Business & Computers
- Communication & Popular Culture
- Health Sciences
- History, Economics, & Political Science
- Law & Paralegal
- Psychology & Education
- Science, Engineering, & Technology
- Social Sciences
- World Cultures, Religions, & Geography
- Alphabetical List of Library Databases
- Help Guides
- Academic Search Complete Help Guide
- Business Source Complete Help Guide
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text Help Guide
- CQ Researcher Help Guide
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition Help Guide
- LexisNexis Academic - Business Help Guide
- LexisNexis Academic - Legal Help Guide
- LexisNexis Academic - News Help Guide
- Opposing Viewpoints Help Guide
- PsycARTICLES Help Guide
- SocINDEX FullText EBSCO Help Guide
LexisNexis Academic - Business Help Guide
The following is a description of how to do a basic search for information about companies in LexisNexis Academic.
Access our printable handout for sample screen images that correspond with the explanation.
Easy Search in LexisNexis lets you search with limited options for company information. To use Easy Search:
- Enter your search terms in the text entry box under "Get Company Info." You can search by either company name or by the company's ticker symbol.
- Click Go to see the resulting company listings.
- Click on the company name you wish to view. LexisNexis will provide a snapshot summary of the business selected.
For a more detailed search, click on "Companies," found on the menu on the left-hand side of the page.
- The “Companies” link lets you search the following: Company DossierTM, DossierTM Create a Company List, DossierTM Compare Companies, Company Profiles, and SEC Filings.
- Each option has its own search interface that offers different capabilities than Easy Search. One such option is searching Company Profiles.
Company Profiles Search:
The following is a description of how to navigate searching Company Profiles. If you require help with navigating other search options, contact a reference librarian using the information at the bottom of this page.
- Access the Company Profiles screen as instructed above, clicking on “Companies” and then “Company Profiles.”
- Enter your search terms in the box/es provided and use the dropdown menus to the right of the boxes to specify where you want to find the terms (e.g. Everywhere, Company Name, Ticker, or Address).
- Use the dropdown menus to the left of the boxes to combine your search terms (if you have used more than one search box). Use “And” to look for both terms together in a record, “Or” to search for either term by itself, or “Not” to search for the first term entered, but exclude any records that contain the second term.
- Optional: To further narrow your search, you can:
• Choose a date or range of dates using the dropdown menu beside “Specify date.”
• Select a resource or multiple resources from the list at the bottom of the interface using the checkboxes. The default is a checkmark on “All company information,” which searches all of the listed resources.
Once you have entered the search information you desire and click the "Search" button, the following information and options will appear:
- You can sort your results by "Relevance," "Newest to Oldest," or "Oldest to Newest." To do this, click on the drop down menu next to "Sort" near the top of the page to select which sorting method you prefer.
- To see one of the articles listed in your search results, click on the title of the article.
- You can narrow your search by resource type. To do this, click on "Sources by Category" found on the menu on the left-hand side of the page. From the options listed, click the desired type of resource (e.g. People Directories & Profiles, Company Filings, Company Analyst Reports, etc.).
- You can search within the results list by entering a keyword in the "Search within results" text entry box found on the top right-hand side of the page.
Once you select an item by title, the following options and information for the item record appear:
- The publication name that the information was taken from and the date of that publication are located at the top center of the item record.
- You can either print or e-mail the article to yourself by clicking the icons found on the top right side of the screen.
General Tips for Searching
- Truncate your terms with an asterisk (*) to find more results. For example, type comput* to find the words computer or computing.
- Search for exact phrases with quotation marks (“”).
- Use just a few key words in your search. The database will not look for common ‘stop words’ like: been, however, so, or, in, etc.
- When a singular word is searched, the plural and possessive forms of that word will also be searched as long as you do not put your search term in quotation marks (“”).
Need additional help?
Ask a Reference Librarian!
- Des Plaines Campus Library, 2nd floor, 847.635.1644
- Ray Hartstein Campus Library, Room A200, 847.635.1474