- Searching for Books Help Guide
- How To Order Books from I-Share
How To Order Books from I-Share
If Oakton doesn’t have the book that you want, you can quickly check for it at over 127 other college and university libraries throughout Illinois. When you find what you need, have it sent to Oakton to pick up. Available books should arrive in 3-5 days.
Access our printable handout for sample screen images that correspond with the explanation.
You Must Have a Current Library Card To Order Books
The following directions will walk you through the process of ordering books in the I-Share catalog. You will find the I-Share catalog, login to your I-Share account, search the I-Share catalog, view the record, request the book, select the pick-up location, and logout.
- Start from Oakton’s website at www.oakton.edu.
- Click on “Library,” which is one of the options found above the large graphic on Oakton’s homepage.
- On the Oakton Library page, choose “Books” from the options under “Find It!,” on the left hand side of the page.
- Choose “I-Share Catalog” from the list that appears in the middle of the screen.
- Click on the “Login” link found in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Enter your MyOakton username in the username field and your library barcode in the password field.
- If you do not yet have an account, click the “Create New Account” link found on the lower left hand side of the screen under the login button. Remember to use your MyOakton username and your library barcode for the username and password.
- Enter information about the item you’re looking for in the search box.
- From the dropdown menu to the right of the search box, choose to narrow your search by title, author, subject, ISBN / ISSN. The default search is a keyword search, which looks for your search terms in all fields of a catalog record.
- Click the “Find” button to the far right of the search box.
View the record for the item you want by clicking on the title in the search results list. The record shows how many libraries hold the item you want and whether or not it is available; however, you may have to click “Display location and availability information” for holdings that appear further down the list.
Once you have found an item with the status of “available,” click the “Request this item” link that appears below the status.
The next screen allows you to select a pick-up location for your item.
- Pick the desired campus (DP or RHC) from the “Choose pick-up location” drop-down menu. DP stands for the Des Plaines Campus, and RHC stands for the Ray Hartstein Campus in Skokie.
- Click “request.”
To protect your account, always log-out using the link found on the upper right side of every page, and remember to close your browser when you are finished.
Need additional help? Ask a Reference Librarian!
Des Plaines Campus Library, 2nd
Ray Hartstein Campus Library, Room A200, 847.635.1474
December 24-January 1
Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
Mon - Thu: 7:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Sat: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
December 13-23 & January 2-19
Mon - Fri: 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
Sat - Sun: Closed