Top 10 Reasons to Schedule a Library Research Consultation
With a library book collection numbering over 92,000, it's imperative
to learn to evaluate sources and, in turn, to develop critical thinking
skills. Information literacy is a skill that both instructors and employers
2. Library skills will help you to find
the information to create more interesting papers and present more informative
3. The World Wide Web, ILLINET Online
and online periodical indexes will introduce you to the world of library
technology and give you the necessary skills for the information age.
4. The Oakton Library's collection of over 500 periodical subscriptions
and online access to thousands more will help you to discover the differences
between academic and popular sources of information.
5. A research consultation will heighten
your awareness and appreciation of an academic library and of libraries
6. Search engines, web subject directories, online catalogs
and online periodical indexes will become valuable buzzwords if you transfer
to another college or university.
7. Learning how to develop strategies to find information will
save you time and effort--important concerns in today's hectic world.
You can increase your confidence and independence in the Library and improve
your ability to use appropriate library resources.
9. You will be introduced to the special services of an academic
library, including how to use the library and web for research and how
to initiate an interlibrary loan.
10. You will learn to use libraries
for personal information and recreational purposes as well as for classroom