|1. The oldest known Earth rock is:
a. 6,000 years old
b. Fred Flintstone's car tire
c. on the moon
e. of no particular importance
2. The geological feature located under George Washington's nose
at Mt. Rushmore is:
3. Below the water table, there is (are):
4. A well-known geologist once said:
5. Define the lithosphere:
6. What is true about the Greenhouse Effect?
7. Fossils are evidence of:
8. What causes outgassing?
|9. An incompetent rock may be described as:
a. a disgrace to all silicates
b. a stone that can't break windows
c. a stone that should be fired
d. a material upon which you shouldn't build a beach house
10. "Lay of the land" is terminology relevant to:
11. As opposed to dune sand, beach sand is:
12. What is true about schist?
13. What is true about arkose?
14. Yellowstone got its name from:
15. When a volcano erupts, what emergency measures should be taken?
16. Why do earthquakes occur?
|17. What is a tsunami?
a. the name of a new roller coaster ride at Great America
b. a Japanese seafood delicacy high in water content
c. a big wet surprise
d. none of the above
18. The difference between a sedimentologist and a beach bum is:
19. What is a horst?
20. Creationism has its merits because:
21. Petrology is:
22. Polar wandering is described as:
23. Why were the dinosaurs so successful?
|24. What is the difference between aa and pahoehoe?
a. nothing - it's all Greek to me
b. nothing - it's all Hawaiian to me
c. six letters
d. one word is easier to pronounce
e. nothing - you'll lava them both
25. Metamorphic petrology is:
26. The purpose of geology field camp is:
28. Sinkholes are caused by:
29. The name of Fred Flintstone's boss was:
30. According to creationists, the most ancient era of earth's history
31. This test was:
This tongue-in-cheek quiz appeared originally in April Fool's issue of The Rocky Times, March-April 1989