TOPOGRAPHIC MAP EXERCISE (Revised)
For questions 1 -> 5, give the correct Township-Range grid locations of the following landmarks or topographic features on the map:
1. Lincoln Jr. High School (near the site of the Skokie campus of Oakton Community College):
|NW 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 28, T41N, R13E|
2. Park Ridge School, south of Oakton Street:
|NE 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 26, T41N, R12E|
3. The island located in the middle of Beck Lake:
|SE 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 31, T42N, R12E|
4. The mobile home park located northeast of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad tracks (running NW to SE) and Glenview Naval Air Station:
|SE 1/4 of SW 1/4 of Section 23, T42N, R12E|
5. Tower Road Dam, inside Skokie Lagoons:
|SE 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 13, T42N, R12E|
6. What is the distance (to the nearest 100 feet) covered by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad tracks (running NE to SW) across this map? What is this distance in miles (to the nearest 1/10)?
7. Find the range line that separates R12E and R13E. What happens to the orientation of this boundary line as it runs south? What water body marks the transition point?
|The range line shifts to the west at the boundary between T42N and T41N, near the Chicago River.|
8. Locate the NW 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 20, T42N, R12E. Are there any contour lines which indicate a depression rather than a hill? How do you know this?
|Yes, there are hachure lines ("teeth" on the contours) which radiate inwards to indicate a depression.|
9. What is the highest topographic elevation point in the NW 1/4 of Section 8, T41N, R13E? What is this area called?
|Highest elevation here is 650 feet. (Note that south of Central Road, Section 8 is incomplete.)||This area is the forest preserve.|
10. Locate Axehead Lake, near Des Plaines, on the map. What does the number in blue represent? Give the township and range coordinates of the lake:
|The elevation of the surface of Axehead Lake is 625 feet above sea level.||NE 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 33, T41N, R12E|
11. What distance in miles is covered North to South on this map?
|Approximately 8.6 miles.|