(DO NOT TURN IN FOR CREDIT - WORD LIST IS PROVIDED)
EAS 100-51: Earth Science Lab
Copyright (c) 1990 by William K. Tong
|ACROSS CLUES for "Topographic Maps"
||DOWN CLUES for "Topographic Maps"
2. Topographic maps give an ------ perspective or view of the land.
5. Large areas of blue on a topographic map indicate -----.
6. Type of map which expresses the relief of a landscape, using a 2-dimensional
10. Standardized unit of land used by the U.S. Land Office, shown on nearly
all topographic maps.
14. A topographic feature indicated by a pattern of V-shaped contour lines
15. Boundary lines which run north and south, marking off east and west
of a map.
16. The reference elevation for all contours (elevation equals "zero")
is at --- ----- (2 words).
19. Length x Width = ?
22. An imaginary line on a topographic map, connecting all points of the
23. Parallel boundary lines which divide north and south regions on a global
map of the world.
24. Lines which indicate a depression rather than a hill; appear as "teeth"
inside contour lines.
25. The standard color used for contour lines on topographic maps.
27. The standard color used for water bodies on a topographic map.
28. A land surface in which there are theoretically no contour lines is
classified as -----.
29. A topographic map which covers a "square" area of land (by reading
longitude and latitude coordinates.)
1. A representation of land on a planar surface, using an established scale.
2. Topographic maps show the land as viewed from the ---.
3. A cross-sectional view of the surface topography of the land, as specified
by a section line.
4. Map scale where the units between map and land are identical; a ratio
where no units are used.
7. The surface area (in square miles) covered by a single section within
8. Type of map encompassing topographic features as well as the underlying
9. A measure of the slope of the land; usually as the elevation difference
divided by map distance.
11. The length (North-South distance) or width (East-West distance)
of a township, in miles.
12. A pattern of contour lines in which the "V" points toward higher elevation
indicates a ------ ------ (2 words).
13. Type of map scale which is drawn out as a bar or ruler, located at
the bottom of a topographic map.
17. Boundary lines on a world globe which converge at the north and south
poles, subdividing East-West.
18. Map scale which usually (but not always) involves different types of
units between map and land (2 words).
20. Type of scale in which the units between map and land are the same
type (abbreviation for 2 words)
21. The elevation difference between any 2 adjacent contour lines.
26. The standard reference direction for all maps; top of the map indicates
|Word List for "Topographic Maps" Crossword