TOPOGRAPHIC MAP EXERCISE (Revised)
For questions 1 -> 5, give the correct Township-Range grid locations of the following landmarks or topographic features on the map:
1. The water tank, near Green Acres Country Club, north of Route 68:
2. The waterworks, at the extreme southeast corner of Fort Sheridan:
3. Bannockburn School, along Telegraph Road, west of Waukegan Road:
4. Red Oak School, north of Clavey Road, east of N. Branch Chicago River:
5. Sportsman Country Club, south of Route 68, 1/2 west of Landwehr Road:
6. What is the highest topographic elevation point in the SW 1/4 of SE 1/4 of Section 12, T42N, R12E? Where is this land located?
___________feet Name of Location: ________________________________________________
7. Locate the NE 1/4 of SE 1/4 of Section 3, T42N,
R12E. Are there any contour lines which indicate a depression rather
than a hill? What is located inside this feature?
8. What is the longest distance (to the nearest 100
feet) covered by the Skokie Lagoons? What is this distance in miles (to
the nearest 1/10)?
9. Note the pattern of contour lines along the shoreline
of Lake Michigan. These are known as the Highland Park bluffs. How steep
of a drop is it from the top of the bluffs into the lake? What geological
processes produced the bluffs?
10. Why do the contour lines of the Highland Park
bluffs extend inland, some as far as one mile?
11. What distance in feet is covered going East to West, along the southern boundary of this map?