TOPOGRAPHIC MAP EXERCISE (Revised)
For questions 1 -> 5, give the correct Township-Range grid locations of the following landmarks or topographic features on the map:
1. Lincoln Jr. High School (near the site of the Skokie campus of Oakton Community College):
2. Park Ridge School, south of Oakton Street:
3. The island located in the middle of Beck Lake:
4. The mobile home park located northeast of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad tracks (running NW to SE) and Glenview Naval Air Station:
5. Tower Road Dam, inside Skokie Lagoons:
6. What is the distance (to the nearest 100 feet) covered by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad tracks (running NE to SW) across this map? What is this distance in miles (to the nearest 1/10)?
7. Find the range line that separates R12E and R13E. What happens to the orientation of this boundary line as it runs south? What water body marks the transition point?
8. Locate the NW 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 20, T42N, R12E. Are there any contour lines which indicate a depression rather than a hill? How do you know this?
9. What is the highest topographic elevation point in the NW 1/4 of Section 8, T41N, R13E? What is this area called?
10. Locate Axehead Lake, near Des Plaines, on the map. What does the number in blue represent? Give the township and range coordinates of the lake:
11. What distance in miles is covered North to South on this map?