- Course Descriptions
- Division of Mathematics & Technologies
- Course Syllabi
- Areas of Study
- Articulation Agreement (2 + 2 Program)
Oakton Community College will receive more than $500,000 as part of a $12,939,459 three-year federal grant awarded to INAM. A consortium of 21 Illinois community colleges, INAM will use the funds to launch an Earn and Learn Advanced Manufacturing Career Lattice Program that trains workers for high-paying jobs in the manufacturing field.
Oakton’s priorities include:
- Developing a new mechatronics certificate. One of the most rapidly-growing areas in the industry, mechatronics is a multidisciplinary approach to manufacturing that combines computer, control, electronic, mechanical, software, and systems design engineering. Oakton will reduce its 48-week certificate program to 26 weeks, with some courses offered online. Course topics will include hydraulics, pneumatics, and controls; robotics and vision systems; programmable controllers (PLC); and more.
- Shifting the technical math course to a self-paced, online, module-based system. Technical math – essential for manufacturing professionals – is currently available at Oakton only through a standard classroom model. The revised course will be offered online, enabling students to advance more rapidly as they move at their own pace from module to module.
- Developing an ESL class focused on technical language. Oakton’s ESL students master conversational English, but sometimes struggle with the vocabulary commonly used in manufacturing classes. Oakton will develop an ESL class specifically focused on technical language.
- Expanding internship placements. Oakton’s Internship Program will expand efforts to provide INAM students with work experiences at area manufacturing companies.
- Earn and Learn students will pay in-district tuition and fees at any INAM college, regardless of where they live or work.
We are excited to expand our efforts. The 21 INAM colleges all bring different resources to the table — together, they can provide Illinois students and industry with high-quality, comprehensive advanced manufacturing training that creates pathways to employment and strengthens our economy.
From time to time we may be notified of openings that need to be filled quickly, and we'll post them here as we get them.
Manufacturing job sites, including area companies:
- Technology / Manufacturing Aligned (TMA) at http://tma.prevueaps.com/jobs/
- Aerotek Staffing, in Deerfield, is a staffing and recruiting company, Their web site is at www.aerotek.com/employment-agency/
- AM Precision Machining, Inc., in Elk Grove Village, is a supplier of quality machine parts that meet regulatory, statutory, and customer requirements for aerospace, military, oil drilling, power generation and various other industries. See their job descriptions at www.amprecision.com/content/job_opp.htm
- John Crane, in Chicago, is a world leader in the application of advanced technologies. See their job openings at www.johncrane.com/en/About/Careers.aspx
- Federal-Mogul Corp., in Skokie, is an innovative and diversified $6.7 billion global supplier of quality products, trusted brands, and creative solutions to manufacturers of automotive, light commercial, heavy-duty and off-highway vehicles, as well as in power generation, aerospace, marine, rail and industrial. Check their web page at www.federalmogul.com/en-US/Careers/Pages/home.aspx#.Unkd2n9fahF
- Machinery Systems Inc., in Schaumburg, is a single source fro new and used CNC machinery, tooling, software, financing and manufacturing solutions. Their job listing page is at www.machsys.com/openings/employment
- Rauland-Borg, in Mt. Prospect, has been setting new standards for integrated communications technology and service for more than 70 years. Take a look at their openings at www.rauland.com/careers.cfm
- Sterling Engineering, inc., in Elmhurst, provides high-quality technical recruitment and engineering project services to hundreds of clients throughout the Chicago and Milwaukee regions. Their opportunities can be found at: www.sterling-engineering.com/job-seekers.html
- Sharp Electronics, in Romeoville, is dedicated to improving people's lives through the use of advanced technology and a commitment to innovation, quality, value, and design. See their page at www.sharpusa.com/AboutSharp/Careers.aspx
- Stratum Global, in Chicago, is a software solutions company that develops and markets TagNet®, a release supported, platform agnostic Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) solution suite. See their job openings at www.stratumglobal.com/about3.html
- thingamajob has jobs at leading companies across the country at http://manufacturing.thingamajob.com/L-Us-Illinois-0.aspx
- Ultra-Metric Tool Co., in Chicago, specializes in the design and manufacture of high quality molds and tooling for the thermoforming industry. Their employment opportunities are online at www.umthermoform.com/employment.php
- Woodward MPC in Skokie is a completely integrated supplier for the aerospace industry. Their job listing page is at www.mpcproducts.com/opportunities.asp
- The Illinois workNet® Portal and Program that utilizes partnerships and technology to expand seamless and real-time access to workforce development resources aimed at individuals, businesses and workforce professionals www.illinoisworknet.com/vos_portal/residents/en/Home
For internships in Manufacturing, Engineering, CAD, Architecture, please visit Oakton Internships and scroll down to the link of current internships at the bottom of the page.
iNAM Grant Specialist
Room P220, Skokie
Chair, Manufacturing & Machine Technology
Room P135, Skokie