- Course Descriptions
- Division of Mathematics and Technologies
- Course Syllabi
- Student Resources
- Mathematics Department Placement Coordinator
Mathematics faculty at Oakton motivate and inspire students in an environment that nurtures self-esteem, promotes the curiosity to question, and fosters the ability to learn. Offering something for everyone, Oakton's mathematics program includes:
- College-level courses that provide the foundation for degrees in business, the life sciences, natural sciences, and engineering;
- Applied mathematics courses that support occupational and technology programs;
- Developmental classes for students who lack adequate preparation for college-level work.
Many courses also support Oakton's general education requirements.
Check out the mathematics course descriptions and the course dependency graph to learn more about the possible sequences of mathematics courses related to various areas of study.
Initial placement in the mathematical sequence of courses is determined by the results of the Mathematics Assessment Test (COMPASS) and/or by transcripts of successfully completed (C or better) college-level mathematics courses.
To find out more about math at Oakton, contact the Math department at 847.635.1733, Room 2162 Des Plaines, or the department chair Julia Hassett firstname.lastname@example.org; if you have questions about placement into math courses, please see the math placement page or contact the Mathematics Department Placement Coordinator.