- International Students
- Apply for a Health Career Program
- Summer-Only Students
- Apply for Concurrent Admission
- Information for Veterans
- Undocumented/DACA Students
- Continuing Education Students
Veterans Financial Information
Oakton is committed to helping veterans obtain educational benefits through a variety of programs offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC).
Policies and Procedures
Various government regulations require adherence to a strict set of procedures. To ensure that an educational benefits claim is processed in a timely manner, please submit all requested information AT THE SAME TIME.
To continue receiving veterans benefits at Oakton, complete the Military Benefit Request form (Online or download and print) each semester after registering. Be sure to submit any additional required documentation directly to the Enrollment Center.
COPIES OF THE DD-214 MEMBER 4 MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION if this is the first time you are applying for veterans benefits.
Educational claims are processed through the Department of Veterans Affairs office in St. Louis, Missouri. The DVA will notify you of your benefit entitlement in approximately six to eight weeks. You should begin to receive GI Bill benefits approximately eight to 10 weeks after classes begin.
Benefit entitlement is approved only for those courses required to complete an Oakton degree. Every 30 days, enrollment is checked and changes impacting your eligibility for benefits are reported to the DVA.
Changes to Schedule or Program
Contact the financial aid advisor before making any changes to your schedule or program. The DVA requires that all academic programs be approved before you can receive any VA benefits. After the GI Bill Certification has been submitted, do not make changes during that semester to your program of study.
To change your program of study, complete VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Study. Forms are available in the Enrollment Center, Room 1860 (Des Plaines) and Room A100 (Skokie) or at the DVA Web site.
- Military.com - All the Benefits of Service
- Today's GI Bill
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs - Education Benefits
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs - VONAPP
- G.I. Jobs
- Military Friendly Schools
- DAV - Disabled American Veterans
- Camp Patriot - for Disabled Veterans
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
- Veterans Health Administration - Health Care
- National Resource Directory
- Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC)