The Anti-Racism Team comprises a racially diverse group of faculty, staff, and administrators who are committed to organizing and implementing institutional transformation for the benefit of all members of the Oakton community.
The Anti-Racism Team’s mission statement mirrors that of the College:
We are the Community’s College
- We are an inclusive, anti-racist, multicultural educational institution that recognizes the destructive effects of racism on all members of our community.
- We commit to restoring full participation and shared power of the entire community and being accountable to the people and communities we serve.
We are a Community of Learners
- We reject all forms of bias.
- We are dedicated to teaching an anti-racist, anti-bias curriculum.
- We implement anti-racist, anti-bias structures, policies, and practices that maximize the potential of our constituents.
We are a Changing Community
- We imagine a future without systemic racism that empowers all members of our community to use their creativity in an inclusive, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive environment.
The Anti-Racism Team’s initiatives include:
- Shaping awareness of systemic racism within the institution and analyzing the specific barriers to change;
- Fostering a College-wide commitment to dismantle institutional racism and establish an anti-racist purpose;
- Developing an action plan for dismantling the structures that perpetuate racism within the institution;
- Developing cultural identities within the institution based on an anti-racist understanding;
- Building new organizational structures that share decision-making powers.
Robyn Bailey, Continuing Education, Training, and Workforce Development
Patti Interrante, Speech and Theater
Michelle James, Student Development and Psychology
Anne Laurence, Grants and Alternative Funding
Gloria Liu, Center for Promoting STEM
Mary Pat Martin, Early Childhood Education
Danielle Nightingale, Student Recruitment and Outreach
Joianne Smith, Student Affairs
Lynn Woodbury, English
For more information, please contact a team member.