- Course Descriptions
- Division of Social Sciences and Business
- Course Syllabi
- Career and Training Options
- Essential Functions
- State Credentials
- Degree Completion
- ECE Transfer Agreements
- Download Forms
- Early Childhood Centers
Students who are pursuing the A.A.S. degree in early childhood education at Oakton must complete two practicum experiences -- the first in the fall semester, and the second in the spring semester. All practicum students complete one experience in an Oakton ECE Center classroom at either campus and one experience in an approved early childhood center in the community.
ECE 257 – Practicum I (Required for the AAS Degree in Early Childhood Education)
Prerequisites: ECE 102, ECE 104, ECE 106, ECE 107, ECE 125, and ECE 226 or ECE 227, all with minimum grades of C, or consent of the department chair. Satisfactory health as certified by a physical examination.
The first-semester capstone experience for students pursuing the A.A.S. degree in early childhood education, the course emphasizes the practical application of early childhood principles in a supervised early childhood setting. Students are supervised by a qualified cooperating teacher and a college instructor, and must work in an approved center for a minimum of four days, 15-18 hours per week, for 16 weeks, in addition to a two-hour weekly seminar.
The practicum experience includes:
- Being part of a teaching team;
- Assisting in the management of children in the classroom;
- Planning and implementing various activities for free-play, small group activities, and large group activities;
- Completing a one-week takeover project in the fall semester and a two-week takeover project in the spring semester;and
- Completing various practicum-related written assignments.
Students who are qualified to apply for practicum should:
- Complete the Practicum Interest Form and submit to Mary Pat Martin, ECE Practicum Faculty Supervisor.
- Make an appointment with Professor Martin to discuss interests and requirements (847.376.7057 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Submit all required DCFS forms.
- Complete a TB test and physical examination.
- Submit official transcripts.
ECE 258 – Practicum II (Required for the AAS Degree in Early Childhood Education)
Prerequisite: ECE 257 with a minimum grade of C or consent of the department chair.
In this second-semester capstone experience, students continue the practical application of early childhood principles and theory with more long-term curricular planning, parent involvement activities, and a portfolio. Students are supervised by a qualified cooperating teacher and a college instructor and must work in an approved center for a minimum of four days, 15-18 hours per week, for 16 weeks, in addition to a two-hour weekly seminar.
Faculty on campus and available to students at designated times.