- Course Descriptions
- Division of Science and Health Careers
- Application Process
- Important Dates
- Essential Skills
- Information Sessions
- Contact Information
- Program Outcomes
Essential skills represent the non-academic ability of the applicant or the student to accomplish the essential requirements of the medical laboratory technology program. These standards are based on the essential skills of the medical laboratory technology student. They must be mastered in order to obtain credit for the educational program. Students are expected to perform satisfactorily in the following domains:
- Identify sizes and shapes.
- Discriminate colors or shades both macroscopically and microscopically.
- Ability to freely maneuver around the assigned laboratory work areas and patient care settings.
- Safely and accurately perform diagnostic laboratory procedures.
- Lift, operate instruments, perform tests and phlebotomy procedures.
- Communicate fluently in English by written and oral and/or alternate means.
- Successfully receive and transmit information.
- Read and follow instructions.
- Accurately perform laboratory duties in a stressful environment.
- Identify and respond to emergency and non-routine situations.