- Course Descriptions
- Division of Social Sciences and Business
- Course Syllabi
- Introduction to Paralegal Studies
- Legal Research I
- Real Property Law
- Legal Research II
- Contract Law
- Law of Family Relations
- Corporate and Securities Law
- Tort and Insurance Law
- Estate Planning
- Environmental Law
- Community Law
- Law Office Management
- Bankruptcy Law
- Intellectual Property
- Commercial Real Estate Law
- Topics in Paralegal Studies
Law Office Management
I. Course Prefix/Number: PAR 222
Course Name: Law Office Management
Credits: 3 (3 lecture; 0 lab)
III. Course (Catalog) Description
IV. Learning Objectives
2. discuss the concept of the law office environment.
3. demonstrate an understanding and comprehension of law office communication services.
4. show the ability to distinguish the roles of the attorney, paralegal, and other variables in the selection process for hiring law office personnel.
5. define paralegal job specifications and exhibit the ability to write a paralegal job description.
6. identify the characteristics of patterned, direct, indirect, and stress interviews in law office practice.
7. demonstrate satisfactory interview techniques.
8. discuss effective employer employee relations.
9. prepare a substantive legal area system for the law office incorporating the roles of attorney, paralegal, and legal secretary and appropriate ethical standards for the paralegal.
10. prepare a law office policy and procedural manual.
V. Academic Integrity
• plagiarism (turning in work not written by you, or lacking proper citation),
• falsification and fabrication (lying or distorting the truth),
• helping others to cheat,
• unauthorized changes on official documents,
• pretending to be someone else or having someone else pretend to be you,
• making or accepting bribes, special favors, or threats, and
• any other behavior that violates academic integrity.
There are serious consequences to violations of the academic integrity policy. Oakton's policies and procedures provide students a fair hearing if a complaint is made against you. If you are found to have violated the policy, the minimum penalty is failure on the assignment and, a disciplinary record will be established and kept on file in the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs for a period of 3 years.
Details of the Code of Academic Conduct can be found in the Student Handbook.
VI. Sequence of Topics
A. Managerial Process
B. Organizational Process
C. Systems Analysis
2. Definition of the Paralegal's Role
3. Word Processing Concepts
A. Communication Services
B. Technical Aids
4. Testing Programs
A. Achievement Tests
B. Intelligence Tests
C. Aptitude Tests
D. Personality Tests
5. Selection of Paralegals
A. Criteria for Selection Process
B. Job Specifications
C. Job Descriptions
D. Screening Interview
6. Types of Interviews
A. Patterned Interview
B. Indirect Interview
C. Direct Interview
D. Stress Interview
7. Criteria for Paralegal Job Analysis
A. Job Descriptions, Gathering Data
8. Description of the Paralegal Job
A. Preparation of Law Office Policy Manual
B. Procedural Manual
C. Functional Manual
9. Ethical Concerns of the Paralegal
VII. Methods of Instruction
4. Nominal group techniques
5. Guest speakers
6. Films, videotapes, and film strips
Course may be taught as face-to-face, media-based, hybrid or online course.
VIII. Course Practices Required
2. Writing Assignments
IX. Instructional Materials
X. Methods of Evaluating Student Progress
2. Written assignments
3. Class projects
4. Classroom participation
5. Product assessment of law office policy, procedural manual, and substantive law office system
XI. Other Course Information
If you have a documented learning, psychological, or physical disability you may be entitled to reasonable academic accommodations or services. To request accommodations or services, contact the Access and Disability Resource Center at the Des Plaines or Skokie campus. All students are expected to fulfill essential course requirements. The College will not waive any essential skill or requirement of a course or degree program.