STEM Mentoring Application Information
This program supports students who take higher level science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) courses. Participants will actively be involved in the activities of STEM seminars, field trips and student clubs. They are encouraged and expected to take leadership of student organizations. They will closely work with their faculty mentors for prompt and individualized help.
Participants will receive the following benefits:
- $500 NSF-Oakton STEM Fellowship for each participating semester,
- Mentoring from a professor or a person in the industry, and
- Increased exposure to STEM through special speaker events, workshops, club activities, and field trips.
Mentoring helps students:
1. to improve overall academic achievement,
2. to develop necessary skills to enter or continue a career path, and
3. to make informed decisions.
Students who have completed SMP have said that the best features of the Program are:
"knowledge & exposure."
"getting help by mentor and getting to know more about different careers."
"bringing students and faculty closer together."
Professor, Mechanical Design & Mathematics
Room B231, Skokie
Room 2166, Des Plaines