Primary Navigation
  • About
  • Academics
  • Continuing Education
  • Admission
  • Student Life
  • Student Services
  • Library
  • News and Events
  • Giving

Academic Progress

The Standards of Academic Progress Policy is designed to ensure successful completion of an academic program. The following standards apply to students seeking federal or state financial assistance (excluding GI Bill recipients*):

To receive Oakton administered financial assistance, recipients must meet enrollment requirements. To meet these requirements, you must:

  • be enrolled in an Oakton associate’s degree or eligible certificate program**,
  • maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average,
  • complete 66 and 2/3 percent of the cumulative college credits attempted, and
  • complete your program within 150 percent of hours required for a degree/certificate.

Students who receive financial assistance are expected to successfully complete their coursework for the semester they receive aid. After the term has ended, any student who receives all F’s, nonattendance, withdrawal, audit, or any combination of these grades may have to repay their financial assistance.

Students can only receive financial assistance for up to 30 attempted hours of developmental coursework if the financial aid program will pay for developmental courses.

Students who have failed to maintain academic progress after two terms will no longer be eligible to receive financial assistance.

Academic Progress Appeals

Any student whose financial assistance is cancelled due to academic progress has a right to appeal. All appeals must be complete, provide detailed information about mitigating circumstances, and be submitted in writing to: Enrollment Center, Oakton Community College, 1600 E. Golf Road, Des Plaines, IL 60016.

Federal regulations require appeals to be submitted in the semester that the student is seeking financial assistance. It is recommended that appeals be submitted within the first two weeks of a semester.

Appeals may be submitted online, however, supporting evidence of mitigating circumstances and academic advising documentation must be submitted in person, mailed, or faxed to the Enrollment Center.


*GI Bill recipients must comply with the College’s overall Standards of Academic Progress policy.

**An eligible certificate program is one that requires 16 credit hours or more to complete.

0) { ?>

preview image
'; } else { echo '
preview image
'; } ?>
'.$widgets1[$random]["title"].''; ?>

Search Oakton