Friends and Classmates
If a friend or classmate shows signs of emotional distress or crisis, let them know that counseling services are available at Oakton. Every situation is different, and may require a different response, but here are a few things to keep in mind.
When to suggest counseling
- When they present a problem or make a request that is beyond your ability to help.
- When they seem to be under a lot of stress or exhibit emotional problems.
- When you have tried to be helpful and there appears to be no improvement.
How to suggest counseling
- Bring it up. Explain that counseling is free and confidential.
- Show them this Web page - or send them a link.
When in doubt, contact Counseling Services and speak with a counselor.