- Leaders: Level 1
- Leaders: Level 2
Emerging Leader: Level 1
The goal of the Emerging Leader Program is to enhance student leadership skills and set them on the path to lifelong success. Level 1 of the Program requires 25 hours to complete. Participants who successfully complete this level will be eligible to continue on to Level II of the Program.
Students Who Complete Level I Will:
- Become familiar with student success services offered by the College.
- Identify personal leadership traits and learn how to interact with other leaders in a team setting.
- Build business interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate leadership ability by carrying out a team project that serves the student body.
- Set and commit to a personal plan for success at Oakton.
- Build relationships with other students.
- Participate in an incoming and exit evaluation of leadership development and program evaluation.
Program Activities/Requirements (approximately 25 hours):
- Attend three one-hour mandatory meetings focused on building a personal plan for success. (mid September, mid October and early December)
- Attend eight presentations or workshops (from a list of about 20 provided) offered by various College departments on college and life success skills.*
- Participate in a half-day workshop to engage in an in-depth study of his/her leadership style. (late October)
- Participate in one workshop designed to strengthen interaction skills such as interpersonal etiquette, successful speeches or presentations, effective business written communication. (two options available)
- Work with up to three other students to organize a simple event, which could include voter registration, information efforts for charitable causes, or any similar, approved event chosen by the team.
- Serve three hours as a volunteer for a college program, service, or student life event.
- Develop a personal plan for engagement and student success.
*Participating in Oakton’s Journey Program? Many Passport Program workshops for new students count as part of your leadership certification!
Awards for Successful Completion of Level 1:
- A $50 gift card to the Oakton bookstore
- A framed program completion certificate
- Recognition at the spring Student Leadership Banquet.