WIA (Workforce Investment Act) Programs
The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) combines federally-funded Illinois job training programs into a comprehensive “workforce development” system through which individuals can find a job or train for a new career.
WIA provides funding to upgrade computer and personal skills and take classes to retrain for an occupation. WIA-eligible individuals may be awarded an Individual Training Account (ITA), which can be used for WIA-approved programs at WIA-approved training provider sites, such as Oakton Community College.
If you would like to participate in WIA, here’s how to get started:
1. Attend an orientation. To register, visit www.worknetncc.com and follow these steps:
- Roll over the ’WIA’ tab
- Click on ‘WIA Orientation’
- In the second sentence, select ‘click here’
- Choose an upcoming orientation and click ‘Register for this Event’
- If you haven’t previously registered for workNet services, click on ‘Sign Up’ to enter your information
2. After the orientation, review the WIA-approved programs available at Oakton.
3. Contact Advising Services to make an appointment with an Academic Advisor to learn more about the program and Oakton’s policies and procedures. You can reach us at 847.635.1741 (Des Plaines) or 847.635.1400 (Skokie)
Locations of local workNet offices:
Evanston Public Library
1703 Orrington Avenue, 3rd floor
Evanston, IL 60201
Oakton Community College
1616 East Golf Road, Room 106
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Illinois workNet Center
723 West Algonquin Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
Faculty on campus and available to students at designated times.