College Success Courses
Whether you're in college to earn a degree, complete a certificate, prepare to transfer or simply improve your knowledge and skills, Oakton has a credit course to help you succeed.
COL 101 (College Success Seminar) 3 credit hours
Develop the skills to succeed in college and life — like goal setting, critical thinking, time management and interacting with people from diverse backgrounds and cultural perspectives.
COL 120 (Academic Success Seminar) 1 credit hour
The Academic Success Seminar focuses on the special skills you need to succeed in a specific course. Students take this seminar in concert with a general education course such as psychology, early childhood education or English.
COL 103 (Peer Tutor Training) 2 credit
Want to become a tutor in the Learning Center? Peer Tutor Training is for you!
Oakton also offers a number of learning communities that support students:
- TRiO Student Support Services (for students who are the first in their family to attend college)
- ASSIST (for students with documented disabilities)
- Minority Student Transfer Center
- Honors Program
- Student Government Association
- Student activities, clubs and organizations
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
Through the Alliance for Lifelong Learning, students may take advantage of the following noncredit options:
- Literacy tutoring
- English as a Second Language preparation for college
- Emeritus senior adult continuing education
- Volunteers in Teaching Adults (VITA)
When classes are in session
Des Plaines Campus
Spring & Fall Semester Hours
Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 8p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Summer Semester Hours (June & July)
Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Interim Hours (Between Semesters)
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.