Applying for Student Employment
Career Services acts as Human Resources for student employment. Review current oppportunities and complete an application in Career Services, Room 1125 on the Des Plaines Campus or in the Enrollment Center, Room A100 on the Skokie Campus.
In addition, all available positions are posted on ww.collegecentral.com/oakton. Simply follow the instructions on Job Listings to create an Access ID and a Password. When you have logged onto www.collegecentral.com/oakton, click on Search for Jobs/Opportunities Posted to My School. In Job Location select On Campus. Click on Begin Search.
- You are only applying for those specific opportunities you have listed on the application. You CANNOT APPLY FOR STUDENT EMPLOYMENT IN GENERAL, only for specific openings.
- A single application can be used to apply for multiple positions.
- Be as specific as possible when listing your available hours. You greatly decrease your chances of being called for an interview if you are not specific about your available hours.
- Neatness counts; your application is a reflection of you. A sloppy, incomplete application does not make your application attractive to a prospective supervisor.
- The address used for student employment must be the same as your Permanent address on your myOakton. If you have moved go to the Enrollment Center and complete a change of address form.
- If you do not wish to use your Social Security number on your application, you can use your Oakton identification number. However, if hired you must display your Social Security number on employment documents. *Note: you cannot begin working unless you have a Social Security number which is valid for employment.
- If you are in the U.S. on a Student Visa (F1), Oakton has sole jurisdiction for providing authorization to work in the United States. Oakton grants authorization to work and withdraws that authorization if you fall out of compliance with your student visa. If you are on a student visa it is necessary for you to contact Cynthia (Bunny) Lynn, 847.635.1713.
What Happens After You Complete an Application
- Career Services will forward a copy of your application to the supervisor of each of the positions for which you applied.
- The supervisor will review the applications and decide which students they would like to interview. If you are selected to be interviewed, the supervisor will contact you directly.
- If you do not hear from anyone after two weeks, visit Career Services and ask about the status of your application.
- If you are not hired for any of the positions applied for, and you are still interested in student employment, it is essential to apply for other positions. Take a look at the current list of available positions to find out if there are any other positions for which you would like to apply. Make an effort to look regularly, because the list of available positions changes all the time.
Des Plaines Campus
Room 1530 is Career Services
until we move into the
new Enrollment Center
on October 15, 2014.
1600 E. Golf Road
Des Plaines, Illinois 60016
8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Monday - Thursday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
7701 N. Lincoln Ave.
Skokie, Illinois 60077