Are you a first generation college student?
If so, TRIO is for you. The TRIO staff are here to help you graduate and/or transfer from Oakton. Nationwide, students who participate in TRIO programs are more than twice as likely to achieve their academic goals.
Let's face it . . .
Earning good grades, managing financial pressures, using time wisely and participating in social activities are some of the many concerns college students have today.
First generation college students frequently encounter additional stress because family members may be unfamiliar with college culture and procedures.
This is where the TRiO program can help!
What is TRiO?
TRiO provides caring professionals and a home base so students can manage the demands of earning an associate's degree and continuing their education at a four-year college or university. The TRiO office is a place for you to ask questions, as well as get the information and encouragement you need to succeed.
TRiO is a federally funded program providing:
- academic advising
- math tutoring
- transfer assistance
- financial guidance/scholarship search
- college success strategies
- cultural activities and events
- technology assistance
All services are free to eligible students.
You may be eligible to apply for the TRiO Program if you are enrolled at Oakton or accepted for enrollment for the next academic term, and meet one or more of the following requirements:
- You are a first-generation college student (neither parent has a bachelor's degree);
- You have a financial need that meets income guidelines (as defined by the Department of Education);
- You have a documented physical or learning disability.