The Anti-Racism Team comprises a racially diverse group of faculty, staff, and administrators who are committed to organizing and implementing institutional transformation for the benefit of all members of the Oakton community.
The Anti-Racism Team’s mission statement mirrors that of the College:
We are the Community’s College
- We are an inclusive, anti-racist, multicultural educational institution that recognizes the destructive effects of racism on all members of our community.
- We commit to restoring full participation and shared power of the entire community and being accountable to the people and communities we serve.
We are a Community of Learners
- We reject all forms of bias.
- We are dedicated to teaching an anti-racist, anti-bias curriculum.
- We implement anti-racist, anti-bias structures, policies, and practices that maximize the potential of our constituents.
We are a Changing Community
- We imagine a future without systemic racism that empowers all members of our community to use their creativity in an inclusive, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive environment.
The Anti-Racism Team’s initiatives include:
- Shaping awareness of systemic racism within the institution and analyzing the specific barriers to change;
- Fostering a College-wide commitment to dismantle institutional racism and establish an anti-racist purpose;
- Developing an action plan for dismantling the structures that perpetuate racism within the institution;
- Developing cultural identities within the institution based on an anti-racist understanding;
- Building new organizational structures that share decision-making powers.
Donovan Braud, Professor of English
Michelle James, Distinguished Professor of Psychology
Gloria Liu, Center for Promoting STEM Coordinator
Ileo Lott, Vice President of Academic Affairs
Jean Neal, Facilities Coordinator
Juletta Patrick, Asst. Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Access, Equity and Diversity
Phil Prale, Adjunct Faculty, K-12 Education
Katherine Schuster, Distinguished Professor of Education
Suzi Ziegenhorn, Assistant Professor of Biology
Ex Officio: Joianne Smith, President
The Anti-Racism Team works with Chicago Regional Organizing for Antiracism (CROAR) to host regional workshops, and by training Oakton's institutional transformational teams.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact a team member.