Nursing Admission Requirements
Nursing is a limited enrollment program. Students must make an appointment to meet with an advisor in the Enrollment Center.
- The fall 2019 application period is closed.
- Spring 2020 applications will be accepted May 1 - July 31, 2019 by appointment only.
- Prerequisites for the students entering spring 2020 must be completed by Aug. 30, 2019.
To schedule your appointment, call 847.635.1266.
- High school graduate or GED completion (submit official high school and all college transcripts except Oakton).
- Overall 2.5 GPA or higher.
- BIO 231 Human Anatomy and Physiology I or equivalent with grade of "C" or higher (completed within the last 5 years)
- One year of high school chemistry or one semester of college (completed within the last five years) or CHM 105 or equivalent, or higher level chemistry course with a grade of “C” or better.
- English 101 placement based on Oakton’s Writing Skills Assessment Test (WSAT), or completion of English 101 course.
- HESI Admission Exam taken within the last two years;
HESI cumulative score: Minimum 75;
HESI English composite score: Minimum 80;
HESI math score: Minimum 75;
HESI science composite score: Minimum 80;
Students may take the HESI exam once every 6 months.
(Register for the HESI exam through the Alliance for Lifelong Learning Office (Room 1125, Des Plaines and Room A120, Skokie), or online at www.oakton.edu/conted. Call 847.982.9888 with any questions.
- Completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program and a passing mark on the Illinois State Certification Exam. Note: Oakton offers a 10- or 16-week course, Basic Nurse Assistant Training (BNAT).
- Completion of MAT 070 or a higher level math course within the past two years or placement above MAT 070 within the past two years.
Students who complete all prerequisites by Aug. 30, 2019, are ranked and accepted by the following criteria:
- In-district residency;
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam cumulative Score (minimum 75);
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam English composite score (minimum 80);
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam math score (minimum 75);
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam science composite score (minimum 80);
- Cumulative college GPA. After 12 credit hours earned at Oakton, the Oakton GPA takes precedence.
Gateway Admission (fall semester only)
Students meeting all other nursing minimum requirements, but having lower than the specified scores on the English or science composite section of the HESI exam, may be admitted as “conditional students,” with priority given to in-district students. Space is limited. Additional requirements are completion of BIO 232 and an English or science composite score between 70 - 79. Students are admitted by ranking and must complete an eight-week summer program prior to entering the fall nursing program.
- Current physical exam
- Proof of health insurance
- Meet physical, communicative/cognitive, emotional/psychological criteria
Students who refuse a criminal background check and/or drug screen will not be considered “clear” and will not be authorized to participate in the clinical component of the health career program, necessitating withdrawal from the program at that time. Individual results of student background checks and drug screens are considered confidential. Determination of whether or not a student can participate in the clinical component of a particular health career program will be communicated to the respective program chairs by the background check/drug screen vendor. Students may view their personal results on the vendor’s website.
For more information contact Margaret Gas, nursing chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.