STEM Mentoring Program (SMP)
This program supports students who take higher level science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) courses. Participants will actively be involved in the activities of STEM seminars, field trips and student clubs. They are encouraged and expected to take leadership of student organizations. They will closely work with their faculty mentors for prompt and individualized help.
Participants will receive the following benefits:
- Mentoring from a professor or a person in the industry, and
- Increased exposure to STEM through special speaker events, workshops, club activities, and field trips.
Mentoring helps students:
1. to improve overall academic achievement,
2. to develop necessary skills to enter or continue a career path, and
3. to make informed decisions.
Students who have completed SMP have said that the best features of the Program are:
"knowledge & exposure."
"getting help by mentor and getting to know more about different careers."
"bringing students and faculty closer together."
If you are a scientist, researcher, or engineer interested in volunteering to serve as a mentor, please contact Gloria Liu at gloriaL@oakton.edu or 847-635-1738.