Apply as a Summer-Only Student

NOTE: Oakton limits connections from outside the U.S. to many of its systems, including myOakton. (See below for more information.)

1. Apply.

Students who have not yet completed an application for admission should apply now. Students who have taken a class within the last three years may begin with step 2 (online orientation).

2. Complete Online Orientation.

New student orientation is now mandatory and summer-only students may complete it online. Online orientation typically takes 30 - 60 minutes to complete.

Students age 17 - 20:
Complete the online orientation at To login, you will need your student ID number, located on your acceptance letter, and the access code occsum18. You will not be allowed to register for classes until you complete orientation. Your registration hold will be removed within 24 business hours of completing the orientation.
Students age 20 and older:
Complete the online orientation at after registration and before the middle of the term. To login, you will need your student ID number, and the access code occadult. A hold on your account will be applied if orientation is not completed.

3. Register for Classes.

Register in person at the Enrollment Center on either campus, or online.

4. Pay Tuition.

After you register, you can pay your tuition online, at the Cashier’s Office, or enroll in the E-Z Pay Online Tuition Payment Plan.

Continue for fall.

If you plan on continuing for the fall semester visit the admission page for additional enrollment steps.


For additional information regarding summer enrollment, please see below.

To request a prerequisite override, print and complete the Prerequisite Override Request Form and submit with an unofficial or official copy of your transcript in person, by mailr, or fax (847.635.1706), or email ( Requests will be evaluated within two business days from the date received. If approved, an online waiver will be issued, allowing you to register online or in person. You will only be contacted if any errors occur during processing.


Do I have to take an English or math placement test?
If you are a new college student, with no prior college level English or math, placement tests are required prior to registering for an English or math course.

Can I use my ACT score for placement into English?

  • Yes. With a score on the ACT English test of 20 or higher, you will be placed in English 101 and are exempt from the Oakton writing placement test.
  • Yes. With a score on the ACT Reading test of 20 or higher, you are exempt from the Oakton reading placement test unless the DRP test is required for a limited enrollment program.

You must submit your ACT scores to the  Enrollment Center. Contact

For ACT placement into a math course, contact the math department.

What if I've already taken a college-level math course at my primary school?

If you have met the math prerequisite at another college or university, you need to submit proof (in the form of an official or unofficial transcript or a grade report) to the math department prior to registration. You may begin this process by contacting the math department.

Please note: An Oakton admission application must be on file before you contact the math advisor.


Do I need to send official high school or college transcripts?

Official transcripts are only required for students seeking an Oakton degree. To register for a course with a prerequisite that you have met at another college or university, you must submit proof (in the form of an official or unofficial transcript or a grade report) to the  Enrollment Center.


How do I arrange to have the summer course I took at Oakton transfer to my primary school?

You will need to request an official transcript* from the  Enrollment Center. Academic transcripts may be requested in one of the following ways:
• online through Transcripts Plus.
• in person at the  Enrollment Center
• in writing by mail or by fax
• download a transcript request form now

*For more information on transcript requests, visit Records & Transcripts.

Will the course I take at Oakton transfer to my primary school?

To ensure a course will successfully transfer to your primary institution, we recommend you speak with an advisor at your college or university.

Advising Services can offer general transfer assistance. You may call or visit them at 847.635.1700, Room 1860 at the Des Plaines campus or 847.635.1400, Room A100 at the Skokie campus.


How many summer sessions does Oakton offer?

Regular summer school classes are offered during a seven- or eight-week period. Oakton also has a four-week interim period between the end of spring semester and the beginning of the regular summer session.

The course section number indicates the duration of the course. For example, MAT 052 750 is a seven-week course; MAT 052 801 is an eight-week course; and MAT 052 1E1 is an interim course.

When do summer sessions begin and end?

Typically summer classes begin in early June and end in late July. See the Academic Calendar for more information.


Does Oakton offer summer classes on Saturday and Sunday?
No. The College is closed on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday throughout the summer.

How often will I be in class?

Most summer school courses meet 2–4 times per week. This varies depending on the course.

How many classes may I take?

Because summer is a shortened session, six credit hours are considered full time. Students who want to enroll in more than 10 credit hours during the summer need to see an Oakton advisor and have their registration slip signed by the advisor.

What is the tuition rate?
See Tuition, Fees and Payment.

Am I eligible for financial assistance as a summer-only student?

Oakton financial aid is only available for students who are seeking a degree or certificate at Oakton. For more information, call 847.635.1700 or view Oakton's Financial Assistance page.


If I am a current high school student, can I take a summer class?

High school students, entering their junior or senior year who have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of C or higher, are eligible to attend Oakton as a concurrent student. Concurrent students are allowed to enroll in one course per semester.

How do I apply for concurrent enrollment?

Print and complete the concurrent enrollment form. Note: This form must be signed by your high school counselor and parent/legal guardian. Submit completed form, along with your high school transcript to Student Recruitment and Outreach, Room 1860, Des Plaines campus. High school students, applying for concurrent enrollment, may not apply online.

Deadline for concurrent high school students to submit Concurrent Enrollment form and high school transcript is one week prior to the first day of class at Oakton.

Please contact the Student Recruitment and Outreach office at 847.635.1835 or e-mail for details.

*If you plan to be out of the country for part or all of a term, you will not be able to pay your bill, check your grades, register, or perform other transactions usually accessible through myOakton. In addition, some online classes are not accessible from outside the U.S.