Departmental Proficiency Exam
A program or department may establish an approved proficiency examination. Successful completion of which shall enable a student to earn credits in the course(s) for which the examination is equivalent. A student may attempt a proficiency examination for a given course no more than two times.
How to Obtain this Credit
- Enroll at Oakton.
- Make appointment with chair of department to inquire about availability of a departmental proficiency examination for the specific course you wish to test for. Proficiency exams are not available for all Oakton courses.
- If a proficiency exam is available, download, print and complete the Student Application for Credit by Departmental Proficiency Examination. (PDF format)
- Submit application to Registrar Services and arrange to take the test with the department chair.
- There is a $20 nonrefundable fee for this exam, which will be paid in the Testing Center.
- Student is notified by Registrar Services when credit is posted.