F-1 Student Announcements

Tax Information for International Students

Most students in F-1 status must file a tax form by May 17, 2021. If you have just arrived in the country for the spring 2021 semester, you will file a tax form next year in 2022.

All F-1 students who have been in the U.S. during 2020 must file the Internal Revenue (IRS) tax form number 8843. This form is used to show you are present in the country.

Federal Taxes

If you worked on campus as a student employee during 2020, you will file both the IRS form number 8843 and IRS tax form 1040 NR EZ.

(If you are married, please consult your tax accountant or use IRS form number 1040 NR) 

State Taxes

If you worked on campus during 2020, you will also file the Illinois state tax form 1040 NR EZ.

Forms and instructions are available on the Internal Revenue Service web site. You may call the IRS with questions at 1.800.829.1040.

Be sure to file your tax form and have it at the post office no later than May 17, 2021.