Many Oakton students plan to transfer to a four-year college or university. Conversely, some already have a four-year degree or are currently enrolled in a bachelor's degree program – but have “reverse transferred” back to Oakton to complete an associate's degree, learn new skills, or change careers.

Be sure to discuss any transfer plans with your academic advisor, who can help you stay on track as you move toward your educational or career goals.  For your reference, please also use the suggestions and tools below when determining transfer-friendly classes, as well as tracking your progress:

Oakton students who plan to transfer have several degrees options here at the College: an associate in arts (A.A.), an associate in science (A.S.), an associate of science in engineering (A.S.E.), or an associate in fine arts (A.F.A.) in art or music. There are also a number of suggested courses for students to utilize for those interested in subjects such as Business or Health Science. Although Oakton does offer associate in applied science degrees (A.A.S.), these are not generally considered transferable. Consult with your academic advisor if you would like to explore transferring with an A.A.S.

To ensure that your Oakton credits are transferable, the College participates in the Illinois Articulation Initiative. IAI-approved courses meet the educational standards of participating Illinois four-year colleges and universities, enabling students to transfer as early as possible.

Most four-year institutions require that students complete a range of general education courses before focusing on their major. Oakton students who complete the IAI General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) can meet these requirements before transfer; most participating institutions accept Oakton “gen ed” credits.

Please note, however, that some four-year colleges and universities may require additional coursework before transfer – particularly for certain majors. These requirements are not always aligned with Oakton associate's degree requirements. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with an academic advisor for additional information.